Where do I get an application for employment?

Apply online now!

Application Link
Where are you located?
The Sheriff 's Office is located at 36 County Way in Portland, Maine. Right off of Congress Street, and just before St. John Street. The campus is comprised of 3 main structures:
  • Community Corrections Center
  • Cumberland County Jail
  • Cumberland County Sheriff 's Office
Facilities and Substation Locations and Contact
Where do I call to report a crime?
Please call 911 to report any emergencies to ensure the quickest service possible. For nonemergency crime reporting, please call 207-893-2810. To report a crime anonymously call 207-774-1444, ext. 2208.
How do I receive a copy of a police or accident report?
To receive a police or accident report, you may Choose one of the following methods:

Mail request to or stop by the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office, Records Department
36 County Way
Portland, Maine 04102-2755

Telephone (207) 774-1444 ext. 2249

Or, email the Records Department email us

Report pricing is as follows, and must be received before the report will be released:
  • $12 1-7 pages
  • $1 each additional page
  • $2 additional for each photo
  • $25 for non-paper requests
Online Request Form
How do I file a complaint?
How can I find out if someone is in jail?
To Locate An Inmate

Click the link below to access a list of the inmates currently housed at the Cumberland County Jail (excluding Federal Inmates).  Names will remain on the list until they are released from custody. The list is updated periodically throughout the day. 

 Confined Inmate List
How do I send money to an inmate?

There are 3 ways to deposit money onto an inmates account:

  • Online
  • By Phone - 866-345-1884
  • Money Order - Any denomination accepted - make payable to the inmate - include sender name and address - mail to:
Cumberland County Jail
50 County Way
Portland, ME 04102

NO Refunds or credits will be given for commissary orders not received when you are released from this facility.

If you are released you may pick up your order from the Jail Business Office on the Friday, Monday or Tuesday following delivery for that week. Please call in advance to 207-774-5939, Ext. 2172 to arrange a pick up time. If orders are not picked up by the following Tuesday at 4:00 p.m.. No Refunds Will Be Given.

No Returns or Exchanges after delivery personnel receives signed receipt.

If you have any other inquires about an Inmate Account, you may submit the Inmate Funds Inquiry Form or call (207) 774-5939 ext 2172.
How do I bail someone out of jail?
To bail someone out of jail, go to the jail lobby and see the Information Officer. Cash is required to bail someone out of jail. Credit cards, debit cards, personal checks, cashier's checks, and money orders are not accepted. An ATM is located in the lobby of the jail. The jail is located at:
Cumberland County Jail
50 County Way
Portland, ME 04102-2755
If an inmate is no longer at the Cumberland County Jail, how do they get any money which might be on their account?
Should a released inmate believe that there are funds remaining on their inmate account, the released inmate may call 207-774-5939, ext. 2172.
What should I bring to jail when I am being booked in?
When reporting to jail to be booked be sure to bring a valid photo identification.

Do not bring jewelry, or other valuables. If you are prescribed medications by a doctor, do not bring your medications unless they are specialty ordered.

Do bring the name and number of your pharmacy so the Medical Unit can contact them to get you the medications you need. If you have a medical question contact the Medical Unit at 207-774 5939, ext. 2137.
How do I get to the jail to visit someone?
Where do I pick up someone being released from jail?
Inmate's are released through the lobby of the Cumberland County jail at:
50 County Way
Portland, ME 04102

Upon your arrival at the jail, do not park in the fire zone directly in front of the jail. Instead, find a parking space to leave your vehicle in.

Enter the jail foyer, and if needed, the information officer can assist you.