Protection Orders

If you are in immediate danger, call 911!

How do I obtain a protection order?

To obtain a Protection from Abuse (PFA) or a Protection from Harassment (PFH) order you must first visit your local court, and follow the procedures set forth by that court.

PFA's that require the relinquishment of weapons are sent directly by the Court to the Cumberland County Regional Communications Center to be assigned to a deputy for service.

The court may direct you to bring, or mail the paperwork to be served to:

The Cumberland County Sheriff's Office
36 County Way
Portland, ME 04102

PLEASE NOTE: The Cumberland County Sheriff's Office only serves these documents in towns that do not a police department. If an order is to be served in Portland, South Portland, Cape Elizabeth, Scarborough, Westbrook, Gorham, Windham, Bridgton, Yarmouth, Cumberland, Falmouth, Brunswick or Freeport, you will need to bring the order to that department for service. 

Serving the Order

Our deputies will attempt to serve the order immediately upon receipt, and before the court date. If the order cannot be served before the court date, the order will be returned to the court.